The Phonic All Stars are the central characters of the speech and literacy program that has been developed by Katrine Elliott, Speech Pathologist, from Optimal Communications on the Gold Coast. The 46 wacky and colourful characters are made into life sized puppets that show how speech sounds are formed in the mouth when they learn to correct their speech impairment or develop their literacy skills.
All kids can benefit and learn from the Phonic All Star Program. You do not have to have speech or literacy challenges as it has been developed for all kids because we need speech sounds or our phonics skills to learn how to read and write.
WHO ARE THE PHONIC ALL STARS
The CONSONANT TEAM (24 CARDS)
- M- (Nasal) – Miss Mary Mouth
- N – (Nasal) – Natalie Mosquito
- NG – (Nasal) – Mr Bing Ding Dong
- P – (Plosive) – Portia Candle
- B – (Plosive) – Bobby Ball
- T- (Plosive) – Toby Tap
- D – (Plosive) – Dudley Drum
- C-K – (Plosive) – Colonel Colin Capgun and Constable Kate Copgun
- G – (Plosive) – Gilly Canetoad
- F – (Fricative) – Fabian Flowerspray
- V – (Fricative) – Vonnie Vacuum Cleaner
- S – (Fricative) – Sidney Snake
- Z – (Fricative) – Zippy Bumble Bee
- SH – ZH- (Fricative) – Shelli Shy and Zha Zha Shocking
- TH – (Fricative) – Theo & Thana Thong
- H – (Fricative) – Hydro Hound
- CH – (Affricative) – Chippy Choo Train
- J – (Affricative) – Joker Jack
- W – (Glide) – Winona Wind
- R – (Liquid) – Rahja Sabretooth Tiger
- L – (Liquid) – Lochie Lingual
- Y- (Glide) – Yeeha Yowee
- X – (Mixture of k + s) – Xavier Ray
- Q – (Mixture of k + w)- Quintan the Big Question
The VOWEL TEAM (22 CARDS)
25. A -(Short Vowel) – Handy Andy Ant
26. E – (Short Vowel) – Elvis Egg
27. I – (short Vowel) – Dr. Ill Pill
28. O – (Short Vowel) – Old Oggie Osteoporosis
29. U- (Short Vowel) – Unreal Ugly Undies
30 – OO (Short Vowel) – Oopsy Book
31. ER (Short Vowel) – Arnette Schwa
32. AR (Long Vowel – Monophthong) – Arkie Heart the Artist Galah
33. EE (Long Vowel – Monophthong) – Dr. Teeth Thief
34. OO (Long Vowel – Monophthong) – Uma Computer
35. OR (Long Vowel – Monophthong) – Orla Jaws
36. ER (Long Vowel – Monophthong) – Ursula Early Bird
37. AY – (Long Vowel – Diphthong ) – Ainsley Snail
38. I – (Long Vowel – Diphthong ) – Iva Mind
39. O – (Long Vowel – Diphthong ) – Odie Globe the Garden Gnome
40. OY – (Long Vowel – Diphthong ) – Joyce Oyster
41. OU – (Long Vowel – Diphthong) – Ouchy Grouchy Needle
42. EAR – (Long Vowel – Diphthong) – Gweniv Ear
43. AIR – (Long Vowel – Diphthong) – Prince Airly Hair the Heir to the Throne
44. IRE – (Long Vowel – Triphthong) – Sire Fire
45. URE – (Long Vowel – Triphthong) – Pure Lure
46. OUR – (Long Vowel – Triphthong) – The Unhappy Hour
ABOUT THE PHONIC ALL STAR PROGRAM
However, the program is more than it looks from the surface as it has been developed from knowledge gained from neuroscience and linguistic ( language), phonological (speech sounds) and auditory (listening) processing skills from Katrine’s experience as a 25 year Speech Pathology clinician in correcting speech and literacy disorders. It was these years of collecting observations, recording children’s outcomes and developing equipment to solve challenges with speech, listening, reading, spelling and writing impairments, that accumulated to now bring the benefits of the Phonic All Star Program. The program is now embedded as a permanent structure inside the Group Speech Therapy Program- Club Yickketty Yak as module 2 of 5 modules in the 3 hour program held at Once Upon A Time Therapy on the Gold Coast. Many families who can’t attend the Gold Coast program can now join the Online CLUB YAK-DIY Program and be a participant from your won living room, kindergarten and school.
Don’t miss a morsel of this cram packed and entertaining program whereby the kids don’t even know they are actually learning because they are too absorbed in having fun along the journey they are taken on listening to stories, music and learning activities that teach skills as well as excite great memories that LEARNING IS FUN!
46 exciting and colourful cards to facilitate your child to learn the phonemes or speech sounds and the letters that make up the phonetic alphabet. Level 1 cards are designed for “mapping the speech sound grid” and they are required to then allow your child to practice their accuracy speed and automation when creating adjustments and improvements to their speech neurological motor-speech system. They are the cards we do “speed flipping” with to get your child confident prior to their first steps forward into reading their first real words that are phonetically structured. Watch your child’s progress forward at the rate of a run-away train when you implement this method using the Phonic All Star Speech Cards. You can get your own set from Speech Therapy DIY Shop- Level 1 Speech Sound Cards . These also come FREE as part of the Teach Me Speech Sounds Program.
The Auditory Discrimination Summary Charts
This is a fantastic tool to teach your child how each speech sound is made. It features ALL of the Phonic All Star Consonant Speech Sounds (Phonemes). The Phonic All Star-Teach-ME-Speech_Sounds Workbook has been developed to teach your child the knowledge they need to know about how speech sounds are created and how they are different from each other. This is key to developing skills so that children can gain the benefits from attending Speech Therapy for speech correction with their Speech Pathologist.
Skills learned also increase your child’s METAPHONIC AWARENESS and their phonological awareness skills making steps into their ability to learn Literacy at school so easy.
The Teach-Me-Speech-Sounds Workbook is designed to work in conjunction with your Phonic All Star token system so that your child can then search out:
- What each sound is and how they are made using their articulators: Lips, Tongue, Jaw, Teeth, Soft Palate, Voice & Breath.
- How the Upper & Lowercase of this letter (grapheme) is written
- What are the other ways of spelling this seech sound using the Level 2-Spelling Variations Graphemes.
This becomes a progressive game for your and your child as they meet each lesson based on the token they receive.
Now packaged up for your home program so you can take your child through the Speech Therapy DIY process yourself to help correct their speech sounds errors and make their speech accurate. Katrine directs your program through your weekly eCLASSES to work in conjunction with your Phonic All Star Pack.
As you launch past the skill set started in the Phonic All Star STARTER PACK program, you can then teach your child how to build on these skills to develop the foundations for their mind to process and undertaken the skills needed for their schooling skills for literacy. Reading, spelling and writing and explained in details as to how these underlying neuro-phonological and neuro-linguistic function integerate to enable your child to prosper when they hit the classroom and the books. Impairments to your child’s development of this vital communication machinery can cost years in lost learning and can be very troublesome to correct if left to long. Speech Therapy DIY has be constructed as a GLOBAL platform to help families who need to take action for speech therapy for their child. FREE speech therapy is available NOW (Connect by liking Facebook Page) using the online support training. This way families don’t need to wait doing nothing while waiting to access a Speech Pathology professional. You can get started with the program while you wait. Katrine guides you through the program by eCLASSES that teach each step integrating the specialised equipment developed for the process of the program.